Have you experienced migraine, stomach pain, any post or pre menstrual symptoms? Or know someone who does? Let’s be aware and well-informed when it comes to the health of ours and our loved ones.
We have gathered a list to help understand women better and even if you dont experience any of the following, you could be of support to a sister or a friend who may benefit from your knowledge.
- Dysmenorrhea is when during the menstrual period, there are painful cramps in the lower abdomen. One can have this without any underlying medical condition, or when there is, can be caused by conditions like endometriosis or uterine fibroids.
- Amenorrhea is characterized by the absence of menstrual periods. Primary amenorrhea usually happens by age 16, while secondary amenorrhea refers to the absence of periods for at least three consecutive cycles for a woman who previously had regular periods.
- Menorrhagia is excessive or when menstrual bleeding takes longer than usual. It may involve heavy or prolonged bleeding during each menstrual cycle that may require changing of pads or tampons every hour or two.
- Oligomenorrhea is the infrequent or irregular menstrual periods, with cycles longer than 35 days or sometimes even 90 days apart. This may be caused by hormonal imbalances, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), or other underlying conditions.
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is the physical, emotional, and behavioral symptoms altogether that women experience in the days leading up to menstruation. These symptoms may be mood swings, bloating, breast tenderness, and fatigue.
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is a severe form of PMS, characterized by intense mood swings, irritability, depression, and anxiety that significantly affect a woman's daily functioning. The symptoms may occur in the week before menstruation and subside shortly after the period starts.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder in which the ovaries produce higher levels of androgens (male hormones) than normal. It can result on having irregular periods, excess hair growth, acne, and cysts on the ovaries.
- Endometriosis happens when the tissue lining the uterus (endometrium) grows outside the uterus, such as on the ovaries, fallopian tubes, or pelvic lining. It causes pain, heavy periods, and fertility issues.
- Premature ovarian failure (POF) also known as premature menopause, occurs when the ovaries stop functioning before a woman turns 40. It leads to the cessation of menstruation, infertility, and hormonal imbalances.
We live in a world post Covid and maintaining good health, both body and mind is clear on top priority. Knowing what you are consuming whether its natural or not, ensuring daily workout goals are met are all crucial for maintaining a good health.
If you or someone you know is experiencing any of the above menstrual pains, seek to consult a professional for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment. You may check what Scarlet can do for you. Check out our Research page to see our Ingredients.
If you enjoyed what you’ve read, subscribe to us and we hope to bring you more.